During my 15 years of coaching and running a business, I have been blessed to work with so many leaders across industries from startups to Fortune 100 companies. In these last few years, however, I accepted a challenge to align myself only with those who aim to elevate humanity, not just their status or income.
Since committing to this focus, my work has become exponentially more meaningful and fulfilling. Now, when I look back at my year and reflect, I see that as a result of the work that I do, conscious leaders are more influential and better positioned to create conscious change for their organizations and the people around them. This trickles down in awesome ways, and I can see how my work not only makes work better for more people but also makes their lives better.
Here’s a sampling:
- Because my repeat client since 2015 got yet another promotion at her nearly-carbon neutral Fortune 500 medical technology company, customer complaints are able to be addressed more promptly. Additionally, feedback is delivered to product teams, which leads to higher product efficacy and fewer complaints. In her new role, she will help to centralize quality management systems so that high standards are met globally consistently.
- Thanks to my stateside partner, I coached a female executive who is now working more collaboratively with her new CEO and the current board to add diversity across the very top levels of leadership.
- Thanks to my Aussie partner, I worked with a female leader in engineering who mitigates the risk of geotechnical projects. She also served as C3‘s ConCon Conscious Leadership Award Committee Chair and taught the other members of C3 how to get more things done with clear, intentional, direct communication. I also saw another Aussie client continue to expand her empowerment message to girls and women to pursue careers in STEM. She served on at least a dozen panels and has built her following of STEM female future powerhouses!
- One of my South African clients is an executive who has a team member developing a solution that will eliminate single-use plastics from packaging in 3-5 years. I can’t take any credit for that, but as a leader for his next team, he will trust their expertise and give them the opportunity and resources to solve similar problems impacting our planet. They will love him!
- My other repeat South African client navigated a few pivotal changes by promoting her brand and being her bold self. This landed her on another team within her Fintech company where she is no longer working on dying legacy products largely ignored by company leaders and customers alike but instead providing blueprints to successful DevOps integration of AWS, the hottest, fastest-growing cloud-based platform. She is now on a team where her experience and outspoken voice are valued. She also avoided recruitment by a notoriously unconscious big bank by making internal inroads instead. They almost had her – it was close. Whew!
- I welcomed back other repeat clients as well, including one who is now an entrepreneur. I got the chance to support her in launching her luxury travel advisory firm, and my team and I also helped her son launch his new career!
- Another repeat client, whom I had helped get accepted into the Union League about a decade ago, came back to have me help him evaluate potential changes in his career path. I was able to help a longtime friend do this, as well.
- Sometimes, especially in times like these, so much changes so quickly that long-term plans get put on hold. I carried over a couple of clients from 2020 into 2021 who I am sure, once they fulfill their short-term obligations, are going to be complete game-changers. One of them is just too good, and she keeps getting engaged for more work. In the meantime, we are able to take time crafting a vision of the future where she makes amazingly valuable and effective breakthroughs in behavioral health that she helped to fund, research, and present in the academic world, and then makes these breakthroughs more visible and accessible to the people who actually need them.
- A bunch of my students from 2020 landed roles that are in alignment with the goals they had before their world came crashing down. Some of them are now also helping people navigate careers themselves! I’ve successfully duplicated my efforts, which means each of those people will someday have a year like this, and take some credit for their clients’ game-changing career moves that make the world a better place.
- During the past year, I also turned down working with people who didn’t value my process and whose aim was not aligned with the highest good. By not helping a former Fortune 100 CEO land at a private equity firm, I didn’t contribute to mass layoffs. Yay!
When I get to reflect on a year like this, I realize I have met some truly talented and impactful people through my work.
Additionally, through the C3 community and ConCon, I am helping to bring together changemakers just like myself. And together, we will expand our impact and spread ripples of conscious leadership so that more people can reach their highest potential and leave a legacy that makes the planet a better place.
Through it all this year, I have had Lawrence and Cynthia by my side, and I even added a new crew member, Kristin, to help me make sure all of these amazing people go where they will be happiest and most impactful, even if that means staying put.
Plus, I did all of this from home, for the most part. I didn’t attend any in-person conferences, trainings, or networking events, and yet, my impact reached around the world.
That’s pretty cool. I do hope to return to engaging in in-person events this year, but I also proved that it’s not necessary. As long as I have my health, my mission, my fellow co-creators, and my family, I will keep on keeping on.
The new deluxe album ‘Look Now’ out now, order here: https://ElvisCostello.lnk.to/LookNow Explore more music from Elvis Costello: https://lnk.to/wWTFSMusic v…
Karen Huller is the creator of the Corporate Consciousness Ripple Blueprint and author of Laser-sharp Career Focus: Pinpoint your Purpose and Passion in 30 Days. She founded Epic Careering, a leadership and career development firm specializing in executive branding and conscious culture, in 2006.
While the bulk of her 20 years of professional experience has been within the recruiting and employment industry, her publications, presentations, and coaching also draw from experience in personal development, performance, broadcasting, marketing, and sales. Her solutions incorporate breakthroughs in neuroscience, human performance optimization, bioenergetics, and psychology to help leaders accelerate rapport, expand influence, and elevate engagement and productivity while also looking out for the sustainability of the business and the planet.
Mrs. Huller was one of the first LinkedIn trainers and is known widely for her ability to identify and develop new trends. She is a Certified Professional Résumé Writer, Certified Career Transition Consultant, and Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist with a Bachelor of Art in Communication Studies and Theater from Ursinus College and a minor in Creative Writing. Her blog was recognized as a top 100 career blog worldwide by Feedspot.
She was an Adjunct Professor in Cabrini University’s Communications Department and an Adjunct Professor of Career Management and Professional Development at Drexel University’s LeBow College of Business. As an instructor for the Young Entrepreneurs Academy, she has helped two of her students win the 2018 National Competition to be named America’s Next Top Young Entrepreneurs, to win the 2019 People’s Choice Award, and to land in the top 8 during the (virtual) 2020 National Competition.
She is board secretary for the Upper Merion Community Center and just finished serving as Vice President of the Gulph Elementary PTC, for which she received recognition as a Public Education Partner and Promoter from the Upper Merion Area Education Association. She lives in King of Prussia with her husband, two daughters, and many pets, furry, feathered, and scaly.